There is a program that allegedly does this called uart_example. It’s really very simple, but I just can’t get it to work because these dongles are old, and incompatible with the software. I have to see if there is a workaround.
Reduced to groping around the Nordic Developer zone I found this useful little contribution.
I just got stung by this too.
Turns out I have an earlier version of the PCA10000 board. Check your board to see if you have V1.0 like I do. If so, this fix is easy… once you know anyway.
Go to Includes/boards/pca10000.h. There is an #if /#else construct for selecting between board versions. Change to #if 0 for V1.0 and away you go.
So I made a new version of pca10000.h changing the one critical character from a ‘1’ to a ‘0’!